Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Week 2 Wrap Up

This week we took a look at how we define ourselves and some of our wishes, wants, and desires. I really want to reiterate that some of those things in and of themselves are not wrong or worthless endeavors  However, if we allow those things to cloud our judgment or distract us from the point, from the pursuit of Christ and His call on our lives then we need to lay aside our priorities and allow Christ to realign our hearts, minds, and wills to what He desires for us. Maybe what is needed is to literally write out all that we do, are, want, and wish; then lay all of it before Christ allowing Him to give back those things He wants us to have and even replace some of them with something so much better, deeper, and richer. Many times we are so controlling or afraid of the “WHAT IF” that we cower at this idea??? I’ll be honest…I AM!!!  This is a very tough concept to embrace. I like my way of doing things and the nice little life that I have. I need to believe that God is greater than all my fears, that He loves me in spite of them, and that He is SOVEREIGN, FAITHFUL, and GOOD and that His plan for me is far better than anything that I could conjure or manipulate into being for myself.

Now the passage for this week was, 

Luke 9:23-27
23 And he said to all, “If anyone would come after me, let him deny himself and take up his cross daily and follow me. 24 For whoever would save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for my sake will save it. 25 For what does it profit a man if he gains the whole world and loses or forfeits himself? 26 For whoever is ashamed of me and of my words, of him will the Son of Man be ashamed when he comes in his glory and the glory of the Father and ofthe holy angels. 27 But I tell you truly, there are some standing here who will not taste death until they see the kingdom of God.”

It talks specifically about Denying ourselves, Taking up our Cross Daily, and following Him. To many of us that seems like a really daunting task. It’s just more to add to our already long list of “TO-DO’s” that we allow to dictate our way of life. However, that is not the case here. This is not a list of things to be added to our List, but of WAY in which we are CALLED to LIVE if we are going to call ourselves HIS followers. I thin in today's age of Christianity we have linked the word "CHRISTIAN" with the idea of being a good person, going to church, etc. We fail to live a life of self sacrifice, of denying our rights, and truly pursuing Christ. We also think the phrase "Take up our Cross Daily" means that we have some burden to bear or a particular ailment or thorn in our side, however this is not what that phrase means. To take up our cross means to literally die to our rights. If we were to truly grasp the gravity of who we are, if we stopped with the self satisfying mindset, and self gratifying lifestyle we live, I think that we would be able to see that we are worthy of nothing more that death and hell. Ha...not so fun to think about...but it's the truth. You and I deserve to die and go to hell. BUT GOD!!! 

As we saw last week He paid the price so that no one would perish. What is our response to that??? What is our response to the fact that Jesus bore the death, the punishment that you and I deserve??? It should be WHOA is ME, as we bow down in Worship, not this self seeking, what more can I get, lifestyle we've embodied for far to long. This kind of lifestyle takes consistent discipline, integrity, and Radical Love. We are going to be one of two 1)Ashamed or 2) A Follower. Which will you be? The choice is yours?

No comments:

Post a Comment